Biscotti- a cookie by any other name.



When I get out my stand mixer, my kids always ask, “can we keep it?” since I usually give most of my baking to friends and family. Warms my heart that they enjoy my baking and that they aren't asking that question while holding something they found outside in the yard.

One of my favorite cookies to bake are biscotti, or “scotti” as my oldest used to call them. The word biscotti comes from the Italian word for biscuit (biscotto) and more specifically, the way they are prepared. Biscotti are typically baked, sliced and then baked again. In doing some research, I've found conflicting results for the meaning of the word. Some places say the word means “twice baked” (bis-twice cotto-baked as defined from Joy of Baking) and others say it simply means biscuit. Whatever the meaning, they are delicious and when I make them they are twice baked. So maybe my biscotti are bis cotto?

The recipe I use for biscotti includes butter, but here's an interesting piece of information: traditional biscotti used no butter. The recipe I found, relied on eggs to bind the dough. Another method called for making the dough soft enough to be piped into a special pan which eliminates the need to slice the loaves. They turn out softer than traditional biscotti but they can be put back into the oven for a crisper cookie. I've never made the pipe and bake version, but I think I'll stick to my tried and true method. If you'd like to try the pipe and bake method, I hope you have great results.

I usually get requests for chocolate, vanilla almond or anise biscotti but please don't limit yourself to these flavors. You are only limited by your pantry. Some other variations I've made are; lemon, ginger, banana and cranberry. Mix and match can lead to a new favorite!

Biscotti are a treat to be sure and I do hope you'll try making them. If you're not so inclined, check out the Enrico Biscotti Co. in Pittsburgh's Strip District. I've had them and they are fabulous. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment