Busy day dinner-baked ziti



How many days are you running in so many different directions by the time you slow down you're dizzy? I know I've had my share and today is no different. Don't you love school projects that are left until the last minute? I had plans for a dinner for my family that was almost elaborate. Well, that's right out the door. We've had chicken three times this week already so I'm thinking pasta. Spaghetti is quick but I was really looking forward to something more interesting. Baked ziti fits the bill.

Baked ziti is quick, hearty, filing and versatile. I've made it with whole wheat pasta, zucchini, sausage, ground beef and a number of different cheeses. (not all in the same dish mind you, but it sounds yummy) Each variation was as good as the next and of course I have my favorite. The basic recipe calls for ziti, ricotta cheese, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. I've come across a few recipes that call for mixing the ricotta with egg and parsley as though you were making lasagna filling. That's good too. I'm going for the “easy-peasy” recipe tonight.


Easy Baked Ziti

1 lb Ziti cooked al dente-according to package

1 jar tomato sauce (16 oz or more)

2 16 oz containers ricotta cheese

Mozzarella cheese, about 3 cups

Parmesan cheese

Drain the pasta and put into a large mixing bowl. Mix the ricotta, half the sauce and about 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella with the pasta. Spray a 13x9” pan with non-stick spray. Pour the pasta mixture into the pan. Pour remaining sauce over the ziti. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350ยบ for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly golden.

This should serve 6-8 but in my house it serves about four. If you, like me, rarely have ricotta in the house unless you're planning on making lasagna (or something else with ricotta) you can always substitute cottage cheese (beat it with your hand mixer until it resembles ricotta). I recommend adding ricotta to your shopping list though, so you can try it soon. Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment